Can You Install A Thermostate to a Gas Fireplace?
Posted in Gas Fireplace Installation, on April 26, 2022
Have you ever wished that your gas fireplace maintenance was easier to control? For instance, if you have an old fireplace with a single knob and a manual dial, it can be difficult to keep up with. You might not know whether or not your fireplace is on, or how high the temperature is. This can lead to overuse of the fireplace; you turn it on, forgetting about it for a few hours, and then come home to a blazing hot house. Installing a thermostat is a gas fireplace service add-on that the Fireplace Experts offer. It’s a great way to make it easier to control the temperature of your gas fireplace. A thermostat can do more than just change the temperature, though.
Let’s take a look at the different types of thermostats available and how installing a thermostat on your gas fireplace can benefit you and your family.
Types of Thermostats
A thermostat can absolutely be installed onto a gas fireplace so families can take the comfort of their fireplaces to the next level.
There are two types of gas fireplace thermostats:
- Wall mount
Both of these thermostats allow homeowners to adjust the temperature in the room throughout the day, which is especially useful for those who use their fireplace for supplemental heat during the colder months. With a remote thermostat, families can adjust the temperature from anywhere in the home, including when they are out. A wall mount, on the other hand, is best for those who are near their fireplace and will adjust it regularly as needed. Installing a remote thermostat is fairly simple, as long as gas lines have been installed in the home beforehand by a professional.
Benefits of a Thermostat for Gas Fireplaces
There are several benefits to using a programmable thermostat with your gas fireplace, including:
- Increased Safety: The main reason for using a programmable thermostat is to ensure that you do not overuse your fireplace, which can cause carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO poisoning is very serious: symptoms include headache, dizziness, and nausea. In extreme cases, it can lead to unconsciousness and death. A programmable thermostat can help you keep track of how often you are using your fireplace and avoid dangerous levels of CO buildup.
- Performance: Using a programmable thermostat with your fireplace will not only extend the life of your fireplace components and increase your convenience, but it will also allow you to override the fire’s default temperature setting and effectively use the fireplace as a supplemental heat source. This is especially beneficial during cold winter months when heating costs are at their highest.
- Convenience: Having a programmable thermostat is a great convenience for gas fireplaces. With this feature, you can set the thermostat to turn on and off at certain times of the day, so you can save energy and money. For example, you can set it to turn on just before you get home from work so your house is warm when you arrive
Installing A Gas Fireplace Thermostat
Fireplace Experts provides gas fireplace services, gas fireplace maintenance, gas fireplace repair and gas fireplace inspections.
Here is how you can go about installing a thermostat to your gas fireplace:
- Step 1: Turn off the power to the fireplace by flipping the breaker switch off at the main circuit box.
- Step 2: Use a circuit tester and make sure that there's no electricity going to the unit otherwise you could get electrocuted. It's not recommended to work on electrical projects without being properly trained and certified so call in a professional if you're not sure what you're doing.
- Step 3: You’ll need to ensure that the thermostat is compatible with the type of fireplace you have, and that the location where you’ll be installing the thermostat is easy to access.
Fireplace Experts is a full-service gas fireplace repair company, specializing in gas fireplace services like quality fireplace inspections, fireplace repair, and fireplace maintenance. Contact us today about installing a thermostat for your fireplace.